Thursday, December 4, 2008

howwwwwwwwww

..is this semester already ending?! I can't believe it. Today was my last day of classes-- and haha, I managed to sleep through la storia della civiltá ovestile. Italiano was so sad- I love my pffssa, Ada. She brought panettone (a traditional milanese Christmas bread, think a better version of fruitcake) and a traditional winter cake from Verona. Then we just talked for an hour- about languages, about Napoli and Gomorra. That class was sometimes a pain because of the work and the frustration involved in being in a class with 4 native speakers and feeling stupid, but now I realize how much it helped my lingua italiana. Solid :) Pathways came and went and though that class is full of heavy, thick Roman Catholic theology, I will def miss Msgr. Wells, the coolest English Secretary of State the Vatican has ever seen.

After class it was sunny and the sky was a perfect blue (I looooooove Roman weather), and though it was a little chilly, I set off to do what I usually do when I'm within 25 walking minutes from my favorite place. I went to Giolitti. Today was a cioccolato bianco/caffé/gianduia day. Then I walked through the back streets of the city center, just totally content that I knew where I was and know Roma.. walked up toward p. del Popolo.. over into Prati.. down via Cola di Rienzo.. and did it. I did it. I got my second gelato of the hour at Pellacheria- biscottino/bacio/cioccolato-canella. I know I'm a fat American, you don't have to tell me. Anyway, for a long time I window shopped and boot hunted down via Cola di Rienzo. It's north of the Vatican in the neighborhood Prati, which is much less touristy than other parts of the city. It's also very pretty- tree-lined, tall-ish Renaissance apartment buildings, flat paving stones instead of cobblestones. If I could pick anywhere in Roma to live it would definitely be in Prati, probably on this street.
The sun set, the twinkling lights appeared, and thus began my boot hunt. And I found some, at this small store called Danielle. The two pairs that I am going to go back and buy tomorrow are flat suede slouch boots, in black and brown. I am also looking for brown leather boots. Oh, yea- and when I was walking down via Cola di Rienzo I saw a stand selling some scarves for 1,50E and so I bought myself 2 summer scarves in a grayish blue and a buttery yellow. Then I went into my favorite specialty foods store (higher end without being ridic priced, with lots of regional cibo italiano) and bought some presents- balsamico, pesto, cioccolato. Whatevs. Mmmm good day. And now begins the finals studying.... BLAAHHH.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay shopping!!! And gelato :) What a good day!